Announcing Exciting Plans for Expansion and Progress at the Santa Elena History Center!
Please consider these funding opportunities as you contribute much-needed gifts to the Santa Elena Foundation:
- Phase II of the main exhibit “Santa Elena: America’s Untold Story” will add the story of Captain Juan Pardo who led 250 soldiers inland to the Appalachian Mountains, information about the archaeological discoveries of the well, kiln, and Fort San Marcos, and add replica weaponry, clothing and other items to help bring the story to life! Exhibit Curator: Dr. Chester DePratter, South Carolina Institute of Archaeology.
- Virtual Reality experience of Fort San Marcos will take the new 3D scaled model of Fort San Marcos to the next level! Visitors will be able to enjoy a digital experience of walking trough this reconstructed, 440-year-old fort on Santa Elena.
- Re-enactment Costumes and Props will create living history interpretations of life at Santa Elena for our local chapter of the “Men of Menendez” to entertain visitors.
- The Search for the Le Prince, a known French Shipwreck in Port Royal Sound using Aerial Magnetometer and Radar methods to determine location in Port Royal Sound of a French vessel that wrecked in 1577. Research will be led by Jim Spirek, Maritime Historian and Nautical Archaeologist with the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology.
- Building an Archaeological Laboratory in the Basement of the Santa Elena History Center will create a first class research facility for all archaeological processing in Beaufort area, regardless of time period.
- Hiring a 16th Century Historian for tenure at the University of South Carolina – Beaufort will ensure that local students learn this important local history and continue the advancements in uncovering many unknown details of Santa Elena’s 20+ year existence.
- Establishing a Children’s Interactive Area will add a dynamic, school age wing to the exhibit to allow children to imagine life during the 16th century. The exhibit will use a variety of mediums and interactive games, in addition to dress-up clothing that resembles the time period children’s wear.
- Present and Future Needs of the Organization
• Unrestricted Support for ongoing operations
• Marketing Funds to match City A-Tax Grant
• Endowment for the Future