Announcing Exciting Plans for Expansion and Progress at the Santa Elena History Center!
Please consider these funding opportunities as you contribute much-needed gifts to the Santa Elena Foundation:
- Virtual Reality experience of Fort San Marcos will take the new 3D scaled model of Fort San Marcos to the next level! Visitors will be able to enjoy a digital experience of walking trough this reconstructed, 440-year-old fort on Santa Elena.
- Re-enactment Costumes and Props will create living history interpretations of life at Santa Elena for our local chapter of the “Men of Menendez” to entertain visitors.
- The Search for the Le Prince, a known French Shipwreck in Port Royal Sound using Aerial Magnetometer and Radar methods to determine location in Port Royal Sound of a French vessel that wrecked in 1577. Research will be led by Jim Spirek, Maritime Historian and Nautical Archaeologist with the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology.
- Building an Archaeological Laboratory in the Basement of the Santa Elena History Center will create a first class research facility for all archaeological processing in Beaufort area, regardless of time period.
- Hiring a 16th Century Historian for tenure at the University of South Carolina – Beaufort will ensure that local students learn this important local history and continue the advancements in uncovering many unknown details of Santa Elena’s 20+ year existence.
- Establishing a Children’s Interactive Area will add a dynamic, school age wing to the exhibit to allow children to imagine life during the 16th century. The exhibit will use a variety of mediums and interactive games, in addition to dress-up clothing that resembles the time period children’s wear.
- Present and Future Needs of the Organization
• Unrestricted Support for ongoing operations
• Marketing Funds to match City A-Tax Grant
• Endowment for the Future