Long-Lost Fort on Santa Elena Site is Discovered  

UPDATE: NOVEMBER 28, 2016
The Santa Elena History Center is commissioning a 3-D Scaled Model of Fort San Marcos to be prominently displayed in the the main exhibit.

To learn more about this project and make a gift of any amount toward the $15,000 goal, please click here.


July 28, 2016

Beaufort, SC – The Santa Elena Foundation is excited to announce that Dr. Chester DePratter and Dr. Victor Thompson located the long-lost Fort San Marcos, which was built on the Santa Elena site in 1577.

The Santa Elena Foundation supported the effort, which took multiple years and non-invasive methods to make the discovery. In the attached press release from the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology (SCIAA), the University of Georgia, and the Parris Island Marine Recruit Depot, further details of the finding are explained.

“The volunteers, Board members and staff – this entire community who has helped bring this story to life – could not be more excited for Prof. DePratter and Dr. Thompson,” says Dr. Andy Beall, Chariman and CEO. “Days like today are the reason we established the Foundation with a vision to uncover this significant history.”

With plans underway for Phase Two of the Main Exhibit.  This emerging information can be incorporated to share more information. The Re-Elect Pedro Menendez Campaign is leading the marketing and fundraising efforts for this expansion of the story.

To learn more about the Santa Elena History Center, visit https://santa-elena.org.

Click here to read the article in Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.

The Santa Elena Foundation is a nonprofit organization based in Beaufort County, South Carolina.  The mission of the foundation is to expand the story of European colonization of North America through discovery, preservation and promotion of Santa Elena, a 16th Century Spanish settlement and colonial capital in the present-day United States.